Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Coffee 2 and why you should deal with independent bike shops

Today's ride to Williams was much more pleasant than last week. There was no wind and the rain held off only teasing us with a few spits and the scent of rain on dry earth. The coffee was good and the company great.

As Dave mentioned below I spent the whole ride on my little chainring.The big one has been a little bent since my crash but it hasn't given me too much trouble. Then on Tuesday it started to jump as we came down the hill into town from the airport and finally the chain jumped right off.

I have been trying to find a replacement chainring for a couple of weeks and have been quoted anything from $150-$180. However no one can supply it as Shimano Australia doesn't have one in the country and estimates 6-8 weeks to get one in stock. I have spent hours on line trying all of the online cycling shops here and overseas but could only find one in the US and shipping might not get it too me in time.

In desperation I started ringing major bike retailers hoping that one might have it on the shelf. I eventually called Eric Mellers at Crankin Cycles in Collie. Eric didn't have one in stock either but he said he had one on a bike that was in stock and he would replace that crankset with another model so he could sell me the chainring I needed.

I will be giving Eric all of my business in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment