Friday, April 1, 2011

Black on black is now in lights

Sun rise is now about 6.30 am and sun set is about 6.20 pm, so guess what - you need lights on your bike if you plan to ride with the group at 6.00 in the morning. There is quite a choice, ranging from the $30-$40 simple led front lights, to those running over $200 (and up to $600!!!!).

The cheap front lights are fine if you just want people to see you from the front, and for slow 'I must get home soon' riding, but if you want to see what is on the road when doing 30 km/hr or more, you need more expensive and stronger lights.

There are some very good flashing back lights for about $30, so check out bikes on the morning ride and ask. If a car is going be a problem, it is the one that is coming from behind, so ditch that old generation flashing light and buy a good high intensity LED flasher.

And who is it that rides a black bike with no lights and wears black cycle clothing? Mr Stealth!
[UPDATE: I've been warned that the lights are now on, but there will be special noise baffles to mask the approach and whooshing noise at it goes past!]

2 comments:

  1. I feel like i'm being singled out here. Do you not remember all those long dark and foggy winter mornings last year. I had lights - flashing ones too!

    Thanks for the warning - tri bars came off yesterday and lights are on. You will see me now but can't garantee you'll here me.

    Thanks

    The Stealth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn. Now we will have to pick on someone else. I always know that it is you on the road, because of the 'whooosh' as you go past. I think I am going through a bike envy stage - but the gutted kitchen is my 'conscience' at the moment.

    ReplyDelete